Chuckwalla Clockwise

The place to talk about all things track riding!
trackaddict

Chuckwalla Clockwise

Postby trackaddict » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:19 am

Just my track riding update! I got two more days in at Chuckwalla last weekend, clockwise. It was absolutely gorgeous out, no wind, lots of sun, 90 degrees... couldn't ask for more. I'm disappointed with myself, not gonna lie, but the end game was that I had a blast so that's really what matters most. I gained 10 seconds on my lap times, and I just couldn't shake it. I know where I was slower, but let my head games win. I will give myself a little caveat in that my old dude pug had to go to the ER just a couple hours before we packed up and left for the track, and I was hyperventilating about his health (his airway closed up), so I started this whole weekend in a near-panic state. That doesn't really help with the relaxing on the bike and going faster part. But, the little bugger held out all weekend and didn't have to go back in his oxygen tent until last night. He's a tough little dude. =)

The first day started out rough... I was SUPER slow and stiff and thinking about my dog. But, I loosened up and even though I was 10 seconds slower, I had a good time. It was still just frustrating to know that I was so much slower. This track day org doesn't allow music in your helmet, which I try to respect, but what they don't understand is that it keeps me singing and therefore breathing instead of panicking. Oh well. I started out only 7 seconds slower and just got worse. By the morning of Day 2, I was something like 14 seconds slower. I was hot, nauseated from the heat (in my mad dash out the door with an ailing dog, I forgot my cooling VnM Sport base layers... ack!) and just felt weak. I took an hour off and then I at least got down to about 9 seconds slower... at that point, I quit caring and quit looking and just focused on having fun. So, about 2pm I went out for maybe the 5th session of the day and on my 2nd turn on my warm-up lap after just entering the track, some a-hole hit my knee as I started to lean into the turn! I wasn't up to speed by my 2nd turn, so I'm sure he thought he could make his pass, but he had 30 feet between me and the edge of the track. I am pretty sure he went home after that, as most of the racers packed up and left, and I tried to hunt him down in the parking lot but never saw him on or off track again. I just HATE that squid mentality.

But, after that, I just quit caring and then really had a blast. With all the racers gone, I realized that I was keeping up with most everyone else and it felt like I had the whole track to myself. I pushed a little harder in a couple corners I'm nervous about, and it went much better. My lessons from this, however, were 1. I'm too slow and would gain more stability if I went faster in corners, 2. I don't get off the bike enough, 3. I have to trust the tires more, and 4. just quit worrying about speed and have fun. Wish I'd gotten to #4 a lot sooner!! Oh - and use the very edges of the track!! No one likes to get Top Gunned by Jason Pridmore and his student burning race gas. No one likes it. Protect one side at every straightaway. If you watch the video below, you'll see I'm always at least 2 feet from the edge on straights.... bad idea. I need to fix that.

Although I'm a little (a lot) insecure and frustrated about my slowness, I'm owning up to it and want to commit to overcoming this hurdle. So, here is a lap in my 10-seconds-slower glory.
https://youtu.be/cIfmUMNQ2ew
VStar

Re: Chuckwalla Clockwise

Postby VStar » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:18 am

I was leaning with you in the turns!
I'm glad the old pupdog recovered, what's his name?
I've been there before. Can I get there, again?
Vixen
Track Ho

Postby Vixen » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:05 am

First hoping you dog is well. That's a terrible weight/worry when you are trying to focus on the track. The video was awesome and nothing to be upset about. Lines were good and your corners were careful ... perfect when your focus is else where. You and the bike are in one piece and you had fun. That's all that matters.

My fall last summer has still got me going slower. I've lost about 10 to 15 seconds depending on the day. Stuff happens and so just have fun, hold your line and don't worry about timing your sessions. !!!!!!!!
Vickie
BMW S1KR - Street (aka Husband) -- BMW S1KRR - Track (aka Boy Toy :evil: ) -- YAMAHA R3 - Track (aka Rug Rat)
trackaddict

Postby trackaddict » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:21 pm

Thanks. Rocky is hanging in there. Next week is his 11th birthday!
I agree that lap timers can add stress, but this season I want to commit to improving and going faster. I have the lines down, the BP... just not the speed. I have no more excuses. I haven't crashed for over a year, no run-offs, no near-misses. So, I am doing this... I will go faster. I will. Last month I knocked at least 15 seconds off my time and it felt great. I just couldn't replicate it.

I think this was my last track day before Brno in June. I'll have to see how I'm doing by then and whether I'll do the Day 3 race. If I'm this slow, I'll be more of a hazard out there than anything.
VStar

Postby VStar » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:41 pm

Question for the Track Ho's, is there anywhere, other than a race track, where you can practice on the track bikes? I don't think a parking lot works. Are you street Hooligans?
trackaddict

Postby trackaddict » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:04 am

VStar wrote:Question for the Track Ho's, is there anywhere, other than a race track, where you can practice on the track bikes? I don't think a parking lot works. Are you street Hooligans?

There really isn't anywhere else to take a track bike -- at least if it is set up for track. Mine has no mirrors or blinkers or lic. plate. I pretty much crashed all that silly stuff off and now it's only good for track. ;) I do have a street bike though, to take up through the twisties here (a BMW S1000rr). I rode it twice last year. Pretty pathetic, I know. But now that I ride track so much, the street is really unattractive to me. I also slowed down a LOT on the streets after all these track days. I get it out of my system in a car-free environment and now my street riding is speed-limit-friendly and I just fart around out there thinking about the amazing waffles I'm going to order when I get to the top of the mountain.
Vixen
Track Ho

Postby Vixen » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:37 am

Great answer Trackaddict !!!! There isn't anywhere on the street you can play with a track bike. No licence, lights, blinkers, break light or mirrors.

I sooo agree with Trackaddict in that once you start doing track you become much more civilized on the street. You get it all out on the track and quickly realize how dangerous the street is. Unlike Trackaddict, I still do a lot of street riding on my S1KR, it's perfect for the street. We don't have the best roads in Ontario however that's why we trailer down to TN or N.Carolina for the twisties.

VStar, I think you need to come to the track. You can rent one of their bikes to try it. I guarantee you will join the track ho group LOL. In fact, we are headed down to Jennings April 16, 17, 18. It's one of the cheapest tracks and they will rent you a bike, leathers blah blah blah. We would gladly meet you there!!!
Vickie
BMW S1KR - Street (aka Husband) -- BMW S1KRR - Track (aka Boy Toy :evil: ) -- YAMAHA R3 - Track (aka Rug Rat)
VStar

Postby VStar » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:31 am

Thanks for the invite TH but this old woman will keep her butt on the sidelines and cheer you on from the pit.

Return to “On-Track”