Are you ready for long distance?

All topics specific to touring
LionLady

Are you ready for long distance?

Postby LionLady » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:04 pm

Hi,

I've done my share of long distance riding, from a couple hours' ride to an event, to several days travelling alone, and also with a passenger.

There are some critical things to consider before setting out on a hundred plus mile ride:
1. Are you physically able to endure the time your planned ride will take?
2. Is your motorcycle's comfort/fit suitable to your physical needs?
3. Do you have the gear needed to handle the potential weather/road conditions you'll encounter?
4. Do you have a plan, in case something unexpected happens?
CountryCruzr

Re: Are you ready for long distance?

Postby CountryCruzr » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:09 pm

Good points LionLady. (Great seeing you on forum again!). I've been getting 100+ rides in these days. Mostly good conditions. Not much rain thankfully but now have gear just in case. The wind has been something to contend with this late Winter and now Spring. I managed a solo ride to Columbus, OH and back the middle of this month(200+ miles). This ride made me address my route there and back, had back up to gps (don't totally trust them anyway :lol: ). I miscalculated on the weather. Forecast was for 68 degrees. When I left at 8:30 AM it was 36 degrees. I had my liner in my jacket but skimped on the layers of clothing on me. At higher speeds I didn't realize the coolness I'd feel through my jacket. Needless to say I pulled into a Dollar General and bought a hooded sweatshirt that helped until the sun warmed me up nicely. Coming back was much warmer thankfully. Don't skimp on staying warm!
Image Image
Mamaw Suze

Postby Mamaw Suze » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:28 am

:lol: CountryCruzr- in a pinch plastic bags or newspapers under the jacket help cut the wind immensely! Stop, buy a newspaper, put it in a plastic bag and you're doubly covered!
We got caught without rain gear a couple of times so now we have plenty. If we can just remember to take it :lol:
The journey is the destination
trackaddict

Postby trackaddict » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:50 am

Dang! I wish I'd have known this long ago! We rode through the Alps in France and Italy, but were severely limited on how much stuff we could carry (like... nothing) and dang was it cold!!! I stopped and put on every single pc of clothing I brought, so I looked like a stuffed marshmallow and I was still turning blue. It was 90 degrees down below, but frozen up top. Pure torture. I never thought about the joys of stuffing plastic bags into my gear to keep the heat in.
CountryCruzr

Postby CountryCruzr » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:47 am

Thanks for the laugh this morning! :D :D :lol: I've mentally logged this practical remedy Mama Suze. I know the needling, chilly shivering uncomfortable feeling Track Addict - Wow, riding in the French Alps that sounds dreamy to me!
Image Image
LionLady

Postby LionLady » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:58 am

Rain gear over whatever other gear you're wearing will help keep your body heat IN. I've started sticking my cold weather exercise wear in the tail bag, as "insurance" for cooler temps.
CountryCruzr

Postby CountryCruzr » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:58 pm

Quick Update. I successfully completed my long distance trip out west and back. No trailering and rode with one other lady. Clocked over 4000 miles in two weeks on my Sportster. Had a small trunk bag for clothes and saddle bags full of utility stuff. Wore armored mesh riding pants and jacket, full face helmet and full boots. The best thing I used was a Camelback® to keep me hydrated. Packed a cooling vest but never used it. Microfiber is the way to go for clothing and underwear. Was able to wash by hand in the evening and clothes were dry & fresh in the morning. If you have the slightest desire to go the distance on your motorcycle it is worth the pleasure of the experience. It is life changing.
Image Image
Mamaw Suze

Postby Mamaw Suze » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:26 am

Details! Details! Details!
CountryCruzr

Postby CountryCruzr » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:31 pm

I thought about expanding on the details of my trip to New Mexico. There are so many things I could share I bet I'd end up boring everyone. But I wanna say if you are thinking about making a long distance ride, do it! Planning is the most important thing you can do to set yourself up for success! We did a couple of 435 mile days and the rest were just under 400 miles. Hit the road no later than 8:00 AM and were usually checked in between 3:30 -5:00 PM. Here are some pictures.

Trail of tears: Forced evacuation of the Cherokee Indians Big Spring, Princeton, KY (also stopped in Russellville, AR on the return trip which was part of the water route many of the Indians were taken on).

Parked Bikes. A real oxymoron! My bike is on the left. Oklahoma City, OK

This Memorial is a rather beautiful place now despite the tragedy of what occurred there. Oklahoma City, OK

On the lighter side. This placed was packed with spray paint toting tourists! You wouldn't want to strike a match around this area. :lol: Cadillac Ranch, TX

Back to Nature. You are riding along and all of a sudden you see a BIG area below and to the right of the road you are traveling! Palo Duro Canyon, TX

Wow, Taos, NM was an awesome area. Just wish there was more time to explore!

Image Image
Mamaw Suze

Postby Mamaw Suze » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:14 pm

There's never enough time to explore but it sounds like you had a good trip! I had originally planned to camp at the trail of tears state park but decided I couldn't handle the history. I'm glad you had a good trip!

Return to “Touring Riding”