First Ride of 2017

For posts about motorcycling that don't fit into the other categories above.
Rogue
Site Admin

First Ride of 2017

Postby Rogue » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:48 am

It's been unseasonably warm in Central Iowa this weekend - warm as in the low 70's when we're used to seeing the low 40's this time of year. Yesterday I was stuck at work until late. Today though...today was all mine since the hubster is out of town until tomorrow night. I spent the entire afternoon out on the bike and it was positively glorious - just the type of therapy session I needed. Unfortunately we're going to see rain much of this week with temps starting to drop again; by next weekend we're supposed to be in the upper 30's. Even if it was only for an afternoon, I'll take it. There's just something about riding that soothes my soul and makes everything right in my world.
Rogue
Forum Staff
twitter | blog
2013 Non-ABS Ninja 300
CountryCruzr

Re: First Ride of 2017

Postby CountryCruzr » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Great to hear you got to ride Rogue. Nothing beats riding and feeling the wind! I've managed to ride in Jan and Feb here taking advantage of the warm weather breaks that have come through. I don't handle hibernation well! :lol: Yesterday enjoyed a 130+ miles into WV and the Palace of Gold http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2929. My riding partner lead the way. Boy was the place a surprise :o . The road in is nice and twisty too. If one finds themselves near Wheeling, this place is worth a look and see.
Image Image
trackaddict

Postby trackaddict » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:51 am

You are so lucky! We have been getting dumped on here in SoCal, mountains piling up with fresh snow (crazy, right?). Even many of our track days have been a wash either from freezing temps, rain, or giant sandstorms. Ugh! We're going to the track in NV this coming weekend and it'll only have a high of 56. Not exactly confidence-inducing! =(
YamaLady

Postby YamaLady » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:05 am

You ladies are sooo fortunate to steal a ride this early!!! That does not happen here unless salt and sand is not an issue for you. My bike is too important to allow it to be covered with that stuff and cause rust, etc. Ride safe and enjoy~YamaLady
Mamaw Suze

Postby Mamaw Suze » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:09 am

If it's warm enough for me to ride it's warm enough to wash the salt off the bike. Sand is no problem. Rocky is a dual sport and I'm learning to deal with it.

I've managed a few rides but not near as many as I would have liked. We have cooler wetter weather coming in so I took Rocky to my buddy's for a going over before riding weather is here to stay. I'm sure we'll still have winter but I want to be ready.
The journey is the destination
woodlandsprite

Postby woodlandsprite » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:29 pm

I've missed out on the best riding weather the southwest has to offer thanks to a surgery on my foot...but happily I finally got clearance to stick my foot in a boot and take my bike for a ride....in fairness, I didn't say motorcycle...but I've asked about motorcycle riding before...

In any case, I was a bundle of nerves, and my boot doesn't fit perfectly right now (I needed to take the insole insert out and replace it with a thinner one because the instep of my foot has changed and the first metatarsal is still sensitive to pressure) this combined with the foot being weaker left me less confident since I can't flat foot the bike (it's my shifter foot). Shifting wasn't smooth, due mostly to getting used to positioning my foot correctly again relative to the shift lever.

It was a short ride, but it was so nice to be back out and reacquaint myself with my bike, even though I was nervous about it.

Still Learning...

2015 CSC/Zongshen RX3
YamaLady

Postby YamaLady » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:54 pm

Great to hear you are on the mend and able to ride some! Now you can build those confidence and enjoy more riding. That tire pressure wasn't bad for six months of resting? Did you have your bike on a lift? or blocked during that time? I'm sure it has been difficult but take care and go slow...things will continue to be better! YamaLady
woodlandsprite

Postby woodlandsprite » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:44 pm

heh. I made my husband periodically exercise my bike out for me :)
Still Learning...

2015 CSC/Zongshen RX3
Rogue
Site Admin

Postby Rogue » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:58 am

woodlandsprite wrote:I've missed out on the best riding weather the southwest has to offer thanks to a surgery on my foot...but happily I finally got clearance to stick my foot in a boot and take my bike for a ride....in fairness, I didn't say motorcycle...but I've asked about motorcycle riding before...

In any case, I was a bundle of nerves, and my boot doesn't fit perfectly right now (I needed to take the insole insert out and replace it with a thinner one because the instep of my foot has changed and the first metatarsal is still sensitive to pressure) this combined with the foot being weaker left me less confident since I can't flat foot the bike (it's my shifter foot). Shifting wasn't smooth, due mostly to getting used to positioning my foot correctly again relative to the shift lever.

It was a short ride, but it was so nice to be back out and reacquaint myself with my bike, even though I was nervous about it.

I was thinking about you the other day and wondering if you'd get to ride this season. I'm so happy the answer is 'yes!'
Rogue
Forum Staff
twitter | blog
2013 Non-ABS Ninja 300
CountryCruzr

Postby CountryCruzr » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Snow drops have been out here for three weeks, then smaller crocus and now daffodils this week! Most of the salt has been off the roads around here for a couple of weeks or more. Today is suppose to get up in the 70's here in Ohio! I rode into the office and that's all I'm gonna get to squeeze in today. Hopefully the weather holds out for a nice ride tomorrow. Glad to see you are on the mend Woodlandsprite!
Image Image

Return to “General on-topic discussion”