Tires

For posts about motorcycling that don't fit into the other categories above.
CountryCruzr

Tires

Postby CountryCruzr » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:21 pm

Here's a topic maybe not so glamorous but is rather high on the importance scale. My tires are beginning to show some wear. Does one stay with the manufacturers recommended tires or does another tire with the same specs perform just as well? Looking for insight and options. Thanks!

Just finished reading this informative article on tires and how to read the wear. Thought I'd pass this on for others to learn from. I'll be checking the wear bars when I get home this afternoon since I didn't ride in day. I might have to act sooner than later. If you haven't lately, check your tires!

http://www.thebikersgarage.com/motorcycle-safety-tire-wear-bars/
Image Image
Mamaw Suze

Re: Tires

Postby Mamaw Suze » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:45 am

Just bought new tires for the super Sherpa and went with a tire different from the oem but same specs because my husband wanted me on something a little stronger streetwise. They're still sitting in the barn waiting, waiting, waiting for the darn virus to go away. I'll let you know how it goes if I every get better
The journey is the destination
VStar

Postby VStar » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:59 am

I replaced the rear tire last summer and stayed with Dunlops, that's the standard Harley uses for the Softail for 2 reasons... 1- didn't get 2 tires, want the same manufacturer for front and rear.
2. They're wide whitewalls, I'm a sucker for whitewalls and there's not a lot of choices for ones that I can afford to buy as a pair.
I've been there before. Can I get there, again?
Rogue
Site Admin

Postby Rogue » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:04 pm

I kept the stock size, but changed my tires from IRC to Pirelli shortly after getting the Ninja. I love the DRII's for my sport bike. I'll be replacing my rear tire with a new one this season because it has so much wear. The front still looks great, though.
Rogue
Forum Staff
twitter | blog
2013 Non-ABS Ninja 300
CountryCruzr

Postby CountryCruzr » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:49 pm

Cool, thanks for the comments. HD put Michelin Scorchers on the Sportsters in 2011 which is what is stock for mine. I don't ride hard but do ride rougher roads and lots and lots of curves. Even the tires on the vehicles we have typically get replaced before the mileage rating on the tires.
Image Image

Return to “General on-topic discussion”