International Motorcycle Show

For posts about motorcycling that don't fit into the other categories above.
Mamaw Suze

International Motorcycle Show

Postby Mamaw Suze » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:42 am

I attended the IMS in Chicago yesterday with my husband and my brother. I've been to several over the years and this was my last. It was such a disappointment.

When Cycle World sponsored it there was so much more to it. Since Progressive has taken over we have watched it steadily decrease in size and quality. Maybe part of it is just my perspective. When I first went I was new to riding so all the equipment and gear options were mind boggling. I was sitting on everything, trying on all the gear... so many vendors, so many options, so little time. Yesterday we could tell as soon as we walked in that it had shrunk in size. Walking around I saw nothing that really excited me. I don't really need any gear but a pair of dual sport boots. There were very few boots to be seen and none I felt were geared toward dual sport riding. There did seem to be a lot of gear for the kind of rider I'm not. I saw none of the motorcycle magazines represented either. There just seemed to be a lot missing.

Maybe it was disappointing because I wasn't seeing new and innovative wares. Basically I saw the same stuff I see in every motorcycle shop I go in(which is every one I see). We're my expectations to great? I don't think so. I thought the IMS was where one went to see the latest and greatest. Maybe it was there in the motorcycles but I didn't see it because I'm loving my Sherpa and not looking for a new bike.

I hope the show continues for all those who do enjoy it but I think I'll keep spending my money at the shops and spend the day with my bike instead of the show
The journey is the destination
Dualsport Chic

Re: International Motorcycle Show

Postby Dualsport Chic » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:26 am

I agree that the show has significantly shrunk over the years. I spoke with a few folks from popular magazines, and was able to get a free pass in from book writer and fellow NDR member Mark Zimmerman (one heck of a great D/S rider) who was formerly a technical editor for Cruiser Magazine and the Cycle World team. He mentioned how cost prohibitive entry into the IMS has become, making it just not worth it for anyone outside of the 'big boys' to attend.

Very sad indeed as I too miss the vendors who supplied the quality gear etc.
Northeast Dualsport Riders

Carpe Diem
woodlandsprite

Postby woodlandsprite » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:54 pm

Ah - Sorry to read this. I know how it is to get burned out and less excited about gear - I remember attending a tradeshow for the outdoor gear industry and i remember being super overwhelmed and excited to be there - as I continued to attend, the show got bigger and bigger, but it became less exciting for me.

The IMS will be in my neighborhood this next weekend, we might go just to see the stunt riders perform. I do not need any gear, and if anything I need to tear down my bike and troubleshoot an issue with my cooling fans :P Nice to see the perspective here. I didn't go to Overland Expo last year, but maybe this year when it comes around, I'll pop up to it and have a look as it seems like that is more in line with the type of riding I'd like to be doing eventually.
Still Learning...

2015 CSC/Zongshen RX3
FastLizard4
Site Admin

Postby FastLizard4 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:39 pm

Dualsport Chic wrote:...He mentioned how cost prohibitive entry into the IMS has become, making it just not worth it for anyone outside of the 'big boys' to attend.

I wonder why this is the case, and if it has to do with the sponsors changing. Hopefully this isn't a deliberate move to make the show "more exclusive".
FastLizard4 (website|twitter)
Forum staff / server administrator
2014 Ninja EX300B SE ABS ("Anna")
Semper exploro
OldMare

Postby OldMare » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:59 pm

We went to the Chicago Show last year, and weren't impressed enough to go back this year. Disappointed that you say it didn't change. Glad we saved our money. I'm getting so anxious to have riding weather or do something though! We get into the 40's today and 50's tomorrow but high winds, so commuting won't be an option. Should calm down Saturday before temps drop again so maybe we can get a spin on them at least!!
Mamaw Suze

Postby Mamaw Suze » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:19 am

Wish we had saved our money but my brother did get exposed to a lot of gear and watch a presentation on the 100 points of traction.
woodlandsprite

Postby woodlandsprite » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:16 pm

We went, just to see what it was like, and I found it "okay" - not sure that I would go again. I was much more interested in the small vendors than the big bike displays - probably because I've visited the dealer several times in the last year and got my fill of sitting on bikes - and I'm nervous enough that taking a bike for a demo ride did not really interest me (and if I really want to demo a bike, I should be able to demo one from the dealer). We did go check out the new Ducati XDiavel, and i've decided I like the regular Diavel better ;) but I'm not in the market for such a bike right now, and I would really have to take one out for a ride to see how comfortable the ergonomics are.

Enjoyed watching the stunt riders do their thing, and also found the presentation on 100 pts of traction to be useful.
Still Learning...

2015 CSC/Zongshen RX3
Mamaw Suze

Postby Mamaw Suze » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:13 pm

Woodland sprite. You were there this year?
woodlandsprite

Postby woodlandsprite » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:25 pm

yes, they came through Phoenix this past weekend...
Still Learning...

2015 CSC/Zongshen RX3
Mamaw Suze

Postby Mamaw Suze » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:21 am

I sometimes forget we don't all live around here

Return to “General on-topic discussion”