Easy way to post pics?

Have a question? Experiencing a technical issue? This is the place to ask!
Scooterpie

Easy way to post pics?

Postby Scooterpie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:22 pm

I struggle with this all the time & generally can never post pics. Suggestions or instructions?
Last edited by FastLizard4 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sticky post since it addresses a common question
4 wheels move the body, but 2 wheels move the soul!
My bike: Honda 2012 NC700S 'The Duchess'
FastLizard4
Site Admin

Re: Easy way to post pics?

Postby FastLizard4 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:30 pm

There are a couple ways to do this. The first is by uploading the file directly to the forums; you can do this in the "Attachments" tab in the posting form (below where you enter the text of your post). However, since the server doesn't have terribly much space available, there's a maximum file size (currently 2 MB). The alternative method (and currently the only method if the file is larger than 2 MB) is to upload the file to an image sharing site (I personally recommend imgur or Flickr) and including the image in your post using img tags, like this example:

Code: Select all

[img]https://example.com/image.jpg[/img]

...Replacing the URL with the image URL the sharing site gives you. Hope this helps!
FastLizard4 (website|twitter)
Forum staff / server administrator
2014 Ninja EX300B SE ABS ("Anna")
Semper exploro
Scooterpie

Postby Scooterpie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:36 pm

I will be poking around imaging sharing apps. Thanks!
4 wheels move the body, but 2 wheels move the soul!
My bike: Honda 2012 NC700S 'The Duchess'
Mamaw Suze

Postby Mamaw Suze » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:36 am

Size limits for avatar? Size limits for any pics? I understand using smugmug or something like that but I remember TWF having size limits. Is that an issue here?
The journey is the destination
FastLizard4
Site Admin

Postby FastLizard4 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:04 am

Yes, we have size limits on both avatars (maximum resolution of 400x400 pixels and maximum file size of 500 KB) and uploaded pictures (no maximum resolution, but maximum file size of 2 MB). Basically, my servers get used for a lot of different things, and I need to ensure that disk space doesn't get used up too quickly. A long term solution to this is to use an external service to store uploads, like Amazon's S3 file storage service, then we could greatly increase (or perhaps even entirely remove) all limits entirely. Alas, since there doesn't seem to be any support for S3 built-in to the forum software, that's functionality I'd have to design and implement myself, and I haven't yet had the time to do so. It's on my list of things to do, though.

That being said, the limits I mentioned aren't unchangeable - feedback is always welcome, and I'd be happy to play around with them until we find a good balance between convenience and not filling up the disks.
FastLizard4 (website|twitter)
Forum staff / server administrator
2014 Ninja EX300B SE ABS ("Anna")
Semper exploro

Return to “Help and Support”