(Resolved) "Invalid form" errors

Announcements, news, and information about the forum. (Only forum staff may create topics in this forum.)
FastLizard4
Site Admin

(Resolved) "Invalid form" errors

Postby FastLizard4 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:10 pm

This issue is now resolved; please see my followup.

(The original post announcing this issue is quoted below.)

Hello everyone!

Recently, we've received multiple reports from users regarding receiving errors along the lines of "The submitted form was invalid" when trying to post or performing actions like changing their password. We're currently investigating the root cause of these errors, and to that end, we would like any user who has experienced these errors to let us know.

If you receive a "the submitted form was invalid" error (and have not already let us know), please use the contact form (or, if that too doesn't work for you, send us an email directly) to let us know. To help us isolate the cause, please include the following information in your message:

• Your forum username
  • The operating system (e.g., Windows, Mac OSX, iOS, etc.) you were using when you encountered the error, including version numbers if possible
  • The web browser (e.g., Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, etc.) you were using when you encountered the error, again including version numbers if possible
  • How often you receive the error, and what forms in particular seem to cause it

Feel free to also include any other information you think may be relevant.

I apologize for any inconvenience these errors cause you. With your help, we'll hopefully be able to identity and resolve the problem soon. Thanks!
Last edited by FastLizard4 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
FastLizard4 (website|twitter)
Forum staff / server administrator
2014 Ninja EX300B SE ABS ("Anna")
Semper exploro
FastLizard4
Site Admin

Re: (Resolved) "Invalid form" errors

Postby FastLizard4 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:05 am

I have identified and fixed an issue with the forum software that would cause "The submitted form was invalid" errors to appear if the following sequence of events occurred:

1. User attempts one or more times to log in to their account but fails due to an incorrect password
  2. User successfully logs in (either with their correct password, or after using the reset password function)
  3. User does not (or is unable to) dismiss the message warning them that "Since your last visit there were n failed login attempts"
  4. In the same session (i.e., without changing browsers or logging out), the user attempts to submit certain forms, such as the password change form and the submit post form

As a result of the fix, the "Since your last visit there were n failed login attempts" message is no longer persistent - instead, it will display once and only once, immediately after a successful login (if applicable), then disappear automatically on the next user action. I have tested the fix under the bug conditions I have gathered based on log analysis and users' reports, and I believe this resolves the issue completely. If you were asked to try using a different web browser as part of the troubleshooting process, there is no longer any need to continue doing so.

That being said, if you still encounter the "The submitted form was invalid", please let us know by either using the contact staff form, or if that form doesn't work for you, by emailing forum staff directly.

Sorry for the inconvenience this caused everyone affected, and thanks again for your patience!
FastLizard4 (website|twitter)
Forum staff / server administrator
2014 Ninja EX300B SE ABS ("Anna")
Semper exploro

Return to “Announcements, News, and Information”