Jan 3, SoCalSuperMoto

The place to talk about all things track riding!
trackaddict

Jan 3, SoCalSuperMoto

Postby trackaddict » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:49 am

Please someone SoCal based come out with me!!! http://socalsupermoto.com/calendar.html This is a women's only day, their first ever. It's in Riverside, CA at the Adam's kart track, which is super fun. Bring your gear, but if you need a small helmet, I probably can help. They provide the supermoto. SO MUCH FUN!!!!!! You can ride supermoto or sportbike style (just not in the dirt if they open it up in the afternoon). You will love it!! Please someone come with me.
Vixen
Track Ho

Re: Jan 3, SoCalSuperMoto

Postby Vixen » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:57 pm

I would if I could !!!!!
Vickie
BMW S1KR - Street (aka Husband) -- BMW S1KRR - Track (aka Boy Toy :evil: ) -- YAMAHA R3 - Track (aka Rug Rat)
NevadaWolf

Postby NevadaWolf » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:52 pm

So how was it?
trackaddict

Postby trackaddict » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:29 am

I posted this under "Dirt", but here it is:
OK, having done this supermoto track day, I hate to say it but thumbs down. I did SoCal Supermoto in the past and had a great time. Unfortunately, the fleet of bikes was pretty crappy and it just ruined my day. That said, this was also my first time doing supermoto style (more dirtbike body position) - last time I did sportbike style. It's on a kart track, which makes it potentially really fun. The supermoto style day also opens up the dirt part in the afternoon, which I hadn't realized included mostly JUMPS. Although they told us to go about 5 mph and not jump, that wasn't really so easy with crappy bikes that didn't work.

Our group was small - maybe 10 of us. The night before the owner emailed and said there was a problem with the track and we'd have to start an hour early... which meant a 7am show up and an 80 minute drive to get there. And then the gate wasn't even open when we showed up on time! The "problem" was a weird truck event where a zillion people in trucks parked in the lot and down in the pits and just stood there. It was weird. Unfortunately, they also all blocked my own truck in, so it was incredibly difficult to inch out.

It was super cold in the morning (and all day, really), so we had to go slow. That was fine, since I was learning supermoto style. But then... I couldn't really go much faster (I went a lot faster and had more fun doing sportbike with less-crappy bikes), because of the bikes. Either it wouldn't shift, had a duct-taped clutch lever, essentially no brakes, bottomed out suspension, or ... drumroll... a stuck throttle! I swear I thought I was going to die with the duct taped clutch lever bike when the throttle stuck open in the dirt and sent me flying over dirt jumps. I can only thank Rich Oliver's dirtbike race school for teaching me how to slam the rear bake and slide around a turn. It was much better than becoming a projectile off the ramp of the left turn. I ended up feeling like I had whiplash, so that ended my day. I was so ticked off! Not only that, but we got zero training on dirt. He quickly tossed out some advice (basically, go slow and know you're tires will have dirt on them), which made no sense to me since I hadn't seen the dirt part yet. I certainly had no idea how to go over jumps with a stuck throttle. It just sucked.

Anyway, after being frustrated all day and then getting coated in brown dirt (white leathers... yuck), I was done. I really loved it two years ago when I did their superbike style day, because that was where I learned how to trail brake. It was a light switch in my brain when I tried it on a slow track and learned it. But now... those bike issues just made the whole thing suck.
Mamaw Suze

Postby Mamaw Suze » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:36 am

That really sucks and sounds dangerous!! A stuck throttle and taped clutch lever?! Someone needs to go in there and shake things up and straighten them out. I'm really glad you didn't get hurt
The journey is the destination
trackaddict

Postby trackaddict » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:57 am

:lol: :lol: Me too! I'm saving my injuries for American Supercamp dirt crashes!! hahaha.

Return to “On-Track”