California Superbike School!!! (All over US)

The place to talk about all things track riding!
trackaddict

California Superbike School!!! (All over US)

Postby trackaddict » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:25 am

I will caveat this with - CSS is franchised across the world. Keith & Dylan Code, his key staff/coaches go with him to worldwide locales to do special CSS coaching days. Pretty cool! We've only done non-US with Australia - Eastern Creek (Sydney) and Phillip Island - so that is a whole different review.

So, California Superbike School (CSS) -- GO. Do not hesitate, do not wait. Just GO. http://www.superbikeschool.com/ It is cheaper to do the single days with your own bike, but you get one session less track time and 3 students per coach instead of 2... 2-day camp is pretty killer (and expensive).

CSS was my very first time on track, very first time on a sport bike (I did a 2-day camp with their BMW S1000rr and rental gear). I bought a BMW S1000rr after that. That's how much I loved it. Anyway, I spent both days in sheer terror and the photos to prove it are hilarious. Locked straight arms, saucer-sized eyes... good stuff.

What they have taught me, I truly believe, has saved my life. We did Superbike School because we felt like we had maxed out our "skills" on the street and were not improving, but also to prepare for a 2-week motorcycle tour of Europe and the Alps. I thanked CSS in my helmet many times during that trip! But, more importantly for my current lifestyle, I became addicted. As soon as I got home, I looked up the rest of CSS's schedule and signed up for Sonoma. And then I bought a track bike. And then it led to track days. Needless to say, I think I've done about 25 CSS schools around the country & Australia. I improve every time.

No matter what, CSS values learning and safety. There are NO shenanigans on track - period. The on-track coaching is stellar - they have a 2 or 3-student to 1-coach ratio and they lead-follow every session. Then you work on something - every session. They also have off-track training bikes and drills which I've found quite useful. Unfortunately, I did not do the "brake bike" (which teaches you how to deal with a brake lock-up) until after I had a brake lock-up and crashed. But doing it taught me how to handle it if it ever occured again. They have a "lean bike" which teaches you how to properly lean and body positioning. They have a steering drill --- now, I've done this a zillion times, but 5 years in, the skies finally parted when they had me do a push-pull drill on the bars and turning became a cinch. I know, simple stuff, but it was night and day. They also have a "slide bike" which I have not tested, but evidently it teaches you how to handle it when the back end shimmies in a turn. Don't know. And the "No BS" bike. My nemesis. I must admit, I crashed that one. It has double steering bars, to teach you that you can't steer the bike with your body, but have to use your hands to steer. Yeah.... not fun. I hear I'm not the only one to crash it up though. :lol:

I cannot say enough about the school, the system, the coaches, the whole thing. Just GO. They are all over the country. If you ever go in the summer and Stef is in the US from the AUS contingent, request her. She is a trickster (she gets me to do whatever she wants, even if I don't want to) and an amazing teacher. The best of the best.

Also, if you have a special request, just ask. I wanted to learn how to up and down shift without using the clutch lever -- wish granted. I wanted GP shift on my rental bike -- wish granted. I wanted to practice trail braking -- wish granted. They are that awesome.
Vixen
Track Ho

Re: California Superbike School!!! (All over US)

Postby Vixen » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:30 pm

Total DITTO on the above. Outstanding organization. I've been lucky enough to do all 4 levels. Wish I could afford to it all the time !!!!
Vickie
BMW S1KR - Street (aka Husband) -- BMW S1KRR - Track (aka Boy Toy :evil: ) -- YAMAHA R3 - Track (aka Rug Rat)

Return to “On-Track”