To lower or not to lower that is the question

The place to go for us shorties - tips, tricks, questions - if it relates to shortness, it goes here.
Scooterpie

To lower or not to lower that is the question

Postby Scooterpie » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:59 am

Since TWF closed I have a new bike a Honda NC700s. I love my new bike, but have had issues with its seat height. It has a 32 inch seat height. I am only 5'3". The bike weighs 451 pounds, but the centre of gravity is low. They designed the bike with the tank under the seat so it makes handling easy. Stopping can be an issue depending on the road camber, for the most part though I stop using a 3pt stance and that lets me flatfoot on the left, but where it gets dicey is if its wndy and I need more stability to fight against the wind when stopped or when I am backing the bike into a parking space.

I haven't altered the seat because it is pretty minimal and not that comfortable and shaving it down is going to make it worse. I did buy some Lady Daytona boots because of the revommendations of other gals who are height challenged and the 2 full inches they give me, and they have helped a little.

So my other thought is to buy lowering links and do that, but from what I keep hearing lowering it will mess with the suspension and affect the quality of the ride. Thoughts?
4 wheels move the body, but 2 wheels move the soul!
My bike: Honda 2012 NC700S 'The Duchess'
VStar

Re: To lower or not to lower that is the question

Postby VStar » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:17 pm

I can't offer any suggestions, Scooterpie, @ 5'6" I'm not a shorty pants ;), but I think I'd have a bit of a stretch on a 32" seat. Hopefully you'll get some feedback that's more helpful.
I've been there before. Can I get there, again?
OldMare

Postby OldMare » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:46 pm

Nice bike! Congratulations! I think you will enjoy it more lowered. I could get by with my F800 as it was, but had to use a lower seat which sort of kept you in one spot, and lowered the forks a bit. My husband had lowered a F650Dakar he had with lowering links and didn't notice a big difference with it. The links are fairly easy to do and a cheaper way to go.

For my 800, I went with a set of lowering springs made by HyperPro. I looked up their webpage and see they make them for the Hondas also.
http://hyperpro.com/en/
The ones for the N700s lower it 35 mm which is just under an inch and a half.
I was lucky enough to come across someone on ADV rider selling a used set for my bike. I was ready to go with a new set though as I read people were really please with them. It basically is a new spring for your back shock, and different springs to go inside your forks. My husband and I did mine one weekend and with them in I was able to put the forks back up and use a normal seat and still have more foot on the ground did I did before. Mine were the 50 mm set which is about 2 inches. The bike still handles really nice!

I see this webpage for who handles them in the US:
http://www.epmperf.com/lowering-links.htm - But you have to call and ask for price.
Touratech carries them for the N700X but not sure if that means they fit the s also?!
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3530/PN-330-5836/Touratech-Progressive-Fork-Shock-Spring-Kit-Honda-NC700X-2012-on
NevadaWolf

Postby NevadaWolf » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:30 pm

Scooterpie, how much are you wanting to lower it?

The NC700X is one of two bikes I am looking at that is just a hair outside my comfortable reach. I have a 29" inseam, so with the seat of the X I am barely on the balls of my feet. Lowering it just an inch would make all the difference.

Another thought is can you shave the sides of the seat to bring your legs in closer? Might make for an easier reach.
Scooterpie

Postby Scooterpie » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:02 pm

NevadaWolf wrote:Scooterpie, how much are you wanting to lower it?

The NC700X is one of two bikes I am looking at that is just a hair outside my comfortable reach. I have a 29" inseam, so with the seat of the X I am barely on the balls of my feet. Lowering it just an inch would make all the difference.

Another thought is can you shave the sides of the seat to bring your legs in closer? Might make for an easier reach.

Before I bought the Daytona Lady Pilots, I was on the very tipee toes of my feet, with the new boots I am somewhat on the balls of my feet. The seat isn't that wide and I am hesitant to shave anything off of it because there isn't much padding there in the first place. I think If I can get another 1 to 1/2 inches I would be ok. I have had a few scares where the road camber is off and it makes a difference with stop and landing my foot and definitely parking the bike. I have to get off the bike and push it into a parking stall which is no big deal. Otherwise I am fairly happy with the bike, but I have to say it is quite heavy even with the lower centre of gravity. I love this bike though! I think I am going to get adjustable links and adjustable kickstand because then I can return it to stock without having to alter the kickstand.

Thank you ladies!
Scooterpie

Postby Scooterpie » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:02 pm

OldMare wrote:Nice bike! Congratulations! I think you will enjoy it more lowered. I could get by with my F800 as it was, but had to use a lower seat which sort of kept you in one spot, and lowered the forks a bit. My husband had lowered a F650Dakar he had with lowering links and didn't notice a big difference with it. The links are fairly easy to do and a cheaper way to go.

For my 800, I went with a set of lowering springs made by HyperPro. I looked up their webpage and see they make them for the Hondas also.
http://hyperpro.com/en/
The ones for the N700s lower it 35 mm which is just under an inch and a half.
I was lucky enough to come across someone on ADV rider selling a used set for my bike. I was ready to go with a new set though as I read people were really please with them. It basically is a new spring for your back shock, and different springs to go inside your forks. My husband and I did mine one weekend and with them in I was able to put the forks back up and use a normal seat and still have more foot on the ground did I did before. Mine were the 50 mm set which is about 2 inches. The bike still handles really nice!

I see this webpage for who handles them in the US:
http://www.epmperf.com/lowering-links.htm - But you have to call and ask for price.
Touratech carries them for the N700X but not sure if that means they fit the s also?!
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3530/PN-330-5836/Touratech-Progressive-Fork-Shock-Spring-Kit-Honda-NC700X-2012-on

Thanks OldMare - I will check those sites out!
OldMare

Postby OldMare » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:37 pm

Scooterpie wrote: I think I am going to get adjustable links and adjustable kickstand because then I can return it to stock without having to alter the kickstand.

That is one thing I forgot to mention. The person who sold me the set also included a kickstand that had been cut and rewelded to work with the lowering the springs did. The old one would not work! All the original gear is packed away though, in case I should need it.

I know what you mean about almost loosing it a few times. On my work commute, the end of one road at a Tee intersection turns funny to line up with the road it intersects that is running at an angle. It also just goes a bit uphill there too. When I was just in the beginnings of riding the 800 and hadn't lowered it, I stalled it there at a funny angle and freaked a bit as a co-worker was coming up behind me in his truck. I almost couldn't hold it up, but the adrenaline kicked in and it took everything I had plus hopping on one foot to get it back upright and stopped enough to start it again. Woo! I actually had sore muscles the next day!
Scooterpie

Postby Scooterpie » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:24 am

I hate it when I get that 'nervous wobbly feeling' just a little off balance and not enough foot on the ground. Its an oops waiting to happen. Have to say I get a little miffed because there isn't a whole lot of choice about bikes to buy without modifying.
trackaddict

Postby trackaddict » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:41 am

TOTALLY! re the below I did it to my old FZ6 Yamaha. I didn't have to change any suspension settings, but for the lowering bracket. I could handle the bike so much better, including (and esp slow speed) parking and not falling over. The downside was having the kickstand shortened and welded, but also (big time) scraping the pegs on mountain rides in turns. That got sketchy. If you don't do the twisties though, you shouldn't have too much trouble with that.

OldMare wrote:
Scooterpie wrote: I think I am going to get adjustable links and adjustable kickstand because then I can return it to stock without having to alter the kickstand.

That is one thing I forgot to mention. The person who sold me the set also included a kickstand that had been cut and rewelded to work with the lowering the springs did. The old one would not work! All the original gear is packed away though, in case I should need it.

I know what you mean about almost loosing it a few times. On my work commute, the end of one road at a Tee intersection turns funny to line up with the road it intersects that is running at an angle. It also just goes a bit uphill there too. When I was just in the beginnings of riding the 800 and hadn't lowered it, I stalled it there at a funny angle and freaked a bit as a co-worker was coming up behind me in his truck. I almost couldn't hold it up, but the adrenaline kicked in and it took everything I had plus hopping on one foot to get it back upright and stopped enough to start it again. Woo! I actually had sore muscles the next day!
OldMare

Postby OldMare » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:00 pm

Scooterpie wrote:I hate it when I get that 'nervous wobbly feeling' just a little off balance and not enough foot on the ground. Its an oops waiting to happen. Have to say I get a little miffed because there isn't a whole lot of choice about bikes to buy without modifying.

Maybe with more and more women becoming riding, the companies will start making more models! I have to say I almost went with a Honda NC700x. It is a nice bike but was the only one I got on I could touch the ground right!

Return to “Vertically Challenged Riders”