Going to see The BEAR

The place to share your latest adventure
VStar

Going to see The BEAR

Postby VStar » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:39 pm

This is a ride that Hubby & I did last summer. It's definitely winter here in Ohio, not riding, not walking, cold and colder, I'm bored and reliving the last season.
Back story......
Hubby had a Triumph Bonneville when we got married but sold it to help with the down payment for our first home, that and his beloved 1968 Les Paul Custom guitar, and got the riding bug again several years ago. He and friends would go to some cool places, he would tell me how great they were but never took me there, like Shadetree Powersports, a motorcycle superstore (out of business), Iron Horse Saloon and Bear's. Basically it was unspoken that I had no reason to go to the superstore, I didn't ride, no reason to go all the way to Iron Horse just to go to a bar. Not as backseat on his bike and for sure, not by car, the only way I was going to get there was on my own bike.

So, since now I have my own bike and now it's a Harley, we made the trip to Bear's Vintage Ironworks and Harley Davidson Museum in Ravenna, OH. It's a used parts mecca for motorcycles, primarily Harleys but other makes, too. You can build a bike from the frame out, right in the aisle, panhead, EVO, twin cam, every square inch has a piece of motorcycle in it.

Bear's Vintage Ironworks.jpg
Bear's Vintage Ironworks

It was a beautiful July day, about 45 miles and 60 minutes on county roads. I finally got to Bear's.

Reserved bike parking out front..jpg
Reserved bike parking out front.

I admit to getting a kick out of dedicated M/C parking, especially when parking my M/C in it. Yes, I'm dorky.

Vintage Harleys in the museum..jpg
Vintage Harley in the museum.

Bear has a hodge podge museum of old bikes and Harley merchandise, very nostalgic.

Harley's Topper Scooter, built in the '60's..jpg
Topper Scooter built in the '60's.

I would like to have this in my garage, I'd make it my official "going to Sheetz to get coffee" vehicle. I might even give it a name.

Harley Davidson Barbie..jpg
Harley Davidson Biker Barbie.

Not the Barbie I knew growing up and no, I didn't look for a tatoo.

The trip is another check mark on my want to go there list. I did get my 35th Anniversary t-shirt, the Bear is a smiling Santa looking character, his son a younger version, Mrs. Bear did not have a beard and knew as much about bike parts as the guys, oddly, every man in the store, customer or employee had a beard. I did not get a picture of Bear, I'll do that on the next trip. And I made it to Shadetree, spent lots of money there and to the bike friendly Iron Horse Saloon for diet coke.
I've been there before. Can I get there, again?
OldMare

Re: Going to see The BEAR

Postby OldMare » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:12 pm

My husband had a FLH when we dated and sold it to help with our house down payment when we got married! Didn't get into bikes again until the kids were in high school.

Looks like a nice trip. The National Motorcycle Museum is a bit over an hour away from us in Anamosa, IA. Went last year and were amazed at what all they had there. Lots of Harley stuff, but also bikes of all types including the very, very early motorized bicycles.

Thanks for the info!
CountryCruzr

Postby CountryCruzr » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:55 pm

Just now seeing this VStar. Thanks for sharing. Wonderful to see its in Ohio too! I'm going to also put this on my ride to list.
Image Image
VStar

Postby VStar » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:34 am

Let me know when you get the notion, maybe it will work that we be able to do lunch.
I've been there before. Can I get there, again?
CountryCruzr

Postby CountryCruzr » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:55 pm

Will do VStar. Will definitely plan for it when the weather gets warmer. Brrrr, I rode up to Cleveland this past Saturday (167 miles) and it was a chilly but manageable ride.
Image Image

Return to “Ride Reports”