Sherpa engine seized!

Have a DIY question or tip? Put it here.
VStar

Re: Sherpa engine seized!

Postby VStar » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:23 am

Suze, does the Sherpa Doctor have a diagnosis?
I've been there before. Can I get there, again?
Mamaw Suze

Postby Mamaw Suze » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:18 am

There is a recall on some of the 09's but I'm not sure if mine is one. I'm calling a Kawasaki dealer tomorrow to check. My life has been crazy since the Sherpa seized. Easter was the deadline for several projects around here and we've had 4 disasters to interrupt. Now that Easter is over I can get back to the Sherpa project and hopefully back on the road!!
The journey is the destination
CountryCruzr

Postby CountryCruzr » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:12 pm

Hopefully you get some good news on the Sherpa! Keep us posted on your progress.
Image Image
VStar

Postby VStar » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:34 am

Hope you life slows down to be manageable. Still have my fingers crossed.
Mamaw Suze

Postby Mamaw Suze » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:10 am

My life is now manageable for awhile. Decided to rip out old flooring put down new and paint before Easter. Decided this in Dec started Jan 2. Had 3 big water disasters from lovely old pipes along with good old learn on the job do it yourself haven't a clue how to get a floor level and several other off the wall unexpected happenings but managed to get the floors done, painting done and surprised most of the family.
Now I can deal with my dearly loved Sherpa. Amazing how quickly I fell in love with this bike. I loved 6 but not as much as I thought I did once I rode Dusty. The Sherpa and I got off to a Rocky start so she is officially "Rocky".
Now where things stand with Rocky. She is on the recall list BUT it said the work has been done however the mark they're supposed to put next to the vin # when recall work is done is not there so who knows if it really was or if it was done correctly. I talked to one dealer who said if there's a question about the work I would have to talk to Kawasaki customer service. I called them and when I finally got the agent to stop talking at the same time and listen to what I was saying before answering she decided I needed it inspected by a certified Kawi mechanic. I've managed to get one to look at it 4/11 but if it's there sooner they "might" look at it sooner. Hey old ladies can still flirt. Use the gifts we were given right? Anyway if it indeed has not been done or done wrong and is the cause of the problem they should fix it. Now I wait. I'm not always a patient person but I'm trying and I will definitely keep you posted
CountryCruzr

Postby CountryCruzr » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:02 pm

Nothing more satisfying than rising up to the challenge and conquering the 'unknown' successfully! Bravo hanging in there with Rocky. I dread having to make a 800 call into 'customer service' anymore. It starts with the robo language and number options and goes downhill quickly from there specially if you have to wait for the next rep cos your call is important to us . . . I would much rather level floors and paint. :lol: Sending good thoughts for Rocky to get seen sooner.
Image Image
OldMare

Postby OldMare » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:33 pm

Wishing you luck! And it sounds like you live in an old house like ours!!
Mamaw Suze

Postby Mamaw Suze » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:01 am

Here is the rest of the story. They opened it up and found nothing related to the recall. DARN! So far it needed a valve job. Ok but doesn't fully explain the issues. Another call from them today... Someone (Not any of us!) put the oil filter in backwards which deprived the whole top end of oil!!!! We had not yet changed the oil so I'm guessing the previous owner. The service guy spent time on the phone with Kawasaki and, as a goodwill guesture, they'll pay for the damage. I still have to pay for the valve job which is ok by me. Someone's sweet talking saved me $2000 YES!!! Then another call from the dealer. After further digging basically the whole top end is shot. Cover your ears... More bad words. Fortunately my part of all this is less than a thousand which I guess, all things considered, isn't bad. It'll be out of commission a couple of weeks and I'll have to break it in like a new engine, which it will be YAY! They did check the bottom end and it's fine. It's more money than I was hoping to spend but way less than it could be. It is a relief to know what was wrong and it was nothing I did but I would like to choke the last guy to change the oil. The crazy thing is I had bought an oil filter and oil and planned to change the oil when I got back from that ride. Wish I had changed it as soon as I brought it home but there was probably already some damage done. Checking the odometer I had put 200 miles on it not 3-400. From now on used bikes get oil change as soon as it comes on the place!!!!
THANK YOU SPORTLAND MOTORSPORTS in Urbana, IL and THANK YOU KAWASAKI!!!!!
VStar

Postby VStar » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:27 am

More good news than bad, I guess. And I agree that the damage was done prior to your 200 miles. The weather will be much better in a few weeks, you won't be missing much of the riding season.
The dealership and Kawasaki are treating you very well. Good on them.
Mamaw Suze

Postby Mamaw Suze » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:19 pm

I called the dealer where I bought the bike and asked "for my records" if they had changed the oil. They looked it up and yes it had a full service done. I asked if that included an oil change and they said yes the oil had been changed. When I told him what happened he got real quiet. He's going to look into it get back to me. The 2 techs working there at the time no longer work there but that shouldn't matter. Plus the place working on it when he called about the valves said it did need an oil change so either the oil was not changed and someone lied or something. Since they said it had been changed that means, to me, they should accept responsibility. We'll see. I won't mention the name of the place I bought it until I see how this plays out but I will tell you who's fixing it - Sportland Motorsports in Urbana, IL They have been fabulous!!!! I bought the FZ6 from them 12 years ago and they did the recall work on that. I was happy with all contact I had with them then so even though they are definitely not the closest Kawasaki dealer around I went with them. They have not let me down!! They never talked down to me like some guys will when talking to a woman and when I didn't quite understand something(remember I am not mechanically inclined but I do know how to change my oil and put the filter in right)anyway he would talk to whomever I wanted and was willing to go the extra miles to get Kawasaki to help. Yay Sportland!!!!!! AWESOME place!
I'll keep you posted.

Return to “Wrenching”