Sherpa engine seized!

Have a DIY question or tip? Put it here.
Mamaw Suze

Sherpa engine seized!

Postby Mamaw Suze » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:10 pm

There are bad words coming out of my head right now but I won't print them. We put new tires on my Sherpa today and I decided to scrub some of the new off them. I called my neighbor/mentor and off we went. Nothing crazy just wandering back roads. The Sherpa started acting like it was out of gas even tho it had less than 100 miles on the tank. I switched to reserve and headed to a station thinking somehow my trip meter was screwed up. I didn't get very far when it just quit. N/M Don tried to push start it but no go. I sat down and got comfy while he went to get the truck and ramp. When we got it home he pulled the spark plug and it still wouldn't turn over. SEIZED!!! You can imagine the bad words that went through my head. There are a couple super motorcycle mechanics (young, racers,do all their own work) living a couple miles up the road so Don is talking with them. Gene(husband) is fine with having it done so he doesn't have to. His fingers don't work like they used to
I've only put about 4-5 hundred miles on it since I bought it in Jan because of weather and a million other things I've been trying to get done to free up ride time. I'm I certainly wasn't expecting anything like this to slow me down. I guess I'll have time to get all that stuff done now and be ready for when the bikes ready.
The journey is the destination
VStar

Re: Sherpa engine seized!

Postby VStar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:25 am

Bummer, bummer, bummer. That really does suck. I'm crossing my fingers that it's fixable and reasonable.
I've been there before. Can I get there, again?
HarleyRdr

Postby HarleyRdr » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:06 am

Oh man that sounds disappointing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping with Vstar that it's fixable and reasonable.
Mamaw Suze

Postby Mamaw Suze » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:38 am

Ok ladies and gents help me out here. My husband is pushing for a big bore rebuild which would push it from 250cc to 300 cc but only really gain a few hp. I would always have to use premium gas. Now I don't mind buying good gas for my bikes but I'm not sure how much premium gas the itty bitty stations in the middle of nowhere sell. How fresh is it etc... I was happy with the cc I had until it seized. The mechanics haven't opened it up yet but I'm researching options. He also wants me to put on a pumper carb. That's ok I guess. Opinions please!!!!
woodlandsprite

Postby woodlandsprite » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:54 am

Sadly I have no advice but I hope it isn't too difficult to fix and you're back to riding soon!
Still Learning...

2015 CSC/Zongshen RX3
CountryCruzr

Postby CountryCruzr » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Disappointing for certain Mamaw Suze. Sorry, hope your bike is up and running sooner than later!
Image Image
VStar

Postby VStar » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:54 pm

My opinion only Suze, leave it as is, going through with the big bore upgrade will really get you nothing in the way of horsepower or performance. It's going to add more money to what could be a big rebuild if the crankshaft got damaged. We always use premium gas, by choice, not because we have to, I can see you are hesitant to be locked into it because of the territory you ride in.
Is the mechanic going to open it up soon?
I've been there before. Can I get there, again?
Mamaw Suze

Postby Mamaw Suze » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:58 am

Thank you VStar! The guys have just started. They said they'll know more by tomorrow. I've pretty much decided to keep it pretty much as is except rejet it and change the petcock. From everything I've read the oem petcock has problems and rejecting is supposed to help the cold starting problem. Then again getting the petcock changed might help that. Damn so many decisions. I'll have to talk to them after they get it all opened up.
Mamaw Suze

Postby Mamaw Suze » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:00 am

Rejetting
OldMare

Postby OldMare » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:26 pm

Been away from the board for a while. Just caught this news. Hope it is going well. I'd be saying a few choice words too.

Return to “Wrenching”