V-Star 650 Classic Clutch Inop Problem

Have a DIY question or tip? Put it here.
Alcyone98

V-Star 650 Classic Clutch Inop Problem

Postby Alcyone98 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:15 pm

Bike stuff: 2003 650 VStar 650 Classic. Shaft-driven transmission. Unknown amount of "modding" from a previous owner.

What happened (reportedly): Started off the day operating fine but after making a quick trip to the store for something, the motorcycle started good with clutch pulled in, but when the clutch was let out in first the bike made a sound like "nuts and bolts in an empty paint can" and the clutch wouldn't engage. The bike was turned off and was unable to restart. Was able to get the bike into neutral (not running) but was unable to get clutch to operate afterwards.

The Story and why I am reaching out:

This is not my motorcycle, but it is currently inhabiting my garage and since the motorcycle in question was my friend's only transportation, I generously loaned him my bike until this got sorted out. [Upon further reflection this appears to be a mistake on my part...forgive me, I am a bit sour on the whole matter] It has been almost 4 months since this occurred and I have spent most of this year not riding my motorcycle. First due to my bikes mechanical problems (now fixed and what an adventure that was) and now due to someone else's mechanical problems and resultant inaction.

What has been done up to this point:

Since it appeared to be a clutch issue, we pulled the clutch cover off for a visual inspection. The gear teeth, springs, bolts, clutch plates all appear to be intact and fine. However there is scratch markings on the clutch plate housing. There was no metal shaving or broken parts located in the case or in the oil that was drained out. Then he pulled out the rear wheel and final gearcase assembly. The teeth on the shaft were fine and there was no damage to anything in the internal hub.

Not finding an "easy fix" he tried to go out and get a loan for a replacement motorcycle. Failing that (possibly cause of life choices that limit his ability to get a job that pays more than minimum wage) it appears that he has no additional plan for repairing the motorcycle or attempting a smaller loan to get it repaired at a facility. Last time I inquired about it, he decided to just give it away to a mutual acquaintance.....but its still in my garage.

What I need:

More ideas on what to check next or what this may possibly be. At this point I'm willing to do the work myself (if possible), and possibly pay for the parts necessary (within reason), in order to get my motorcycle back. I am a very novice mechanic but this bike is almost the same as mine (mine is a 07 VStar 650), I have the Clymer manual and youtube videos are wonderful things.

Thanks in advance!!!
Progress not perfection
OldMare

Re: V-Star 650 Classic Clutch Inop Problem

Postby OldMare » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:39 pm

Just seeing this now. Let me ask hubby and see, or my BIL who is a V-Star rider what they say!

Return to “Wrenching”