Coolant flush

Have a DIY question or tip? Put it here.
trackaddict

Coolant flush

Postby trackaddict » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:58 am

Ok, so it's been 2 years since I did my last coolant flush, and I used to just search TWF and voila! So, since we're starting over, and figured I'd put up what I've got for the rest of you.

2011 GSX-R 750, using Engine Ice. I used this, since it was a 2014 GSX-R 600: https://rideapart.com/articles/how-to-coolant-flush /
BUT, my bike has NO drain bolt. I looked and looked and looked... No. Other than that, and I'm guessing Brits calling the stator cover an "impeller" cover (what the heck?), it went fine.

First, I removed all the front fairing, which always stinks even though I have race fairings on. I loosened the bolt for the hose clamp on the left side of the bike (under the stator cover) as directed, and pulled it off gently, but it still spewed all over the place.

Then, unlike directions in this article, which say to pull off the hose under the overflow (right side plastic overflow jug), I just unscrewed the overflow and dumped it upside down. Much easier. Flushed out with distilled water.

Then I filled the radiator with distilled water and dumped it. This is still a new bike with really fresh Engine Ice coolant, so I didn't feel it necessary to do a second flush. Once the water drained, I tightened up the stator-side (left) hose clamp with a screwdriver, replaced the radiator cap, and filled it will fresh Engine Ice. Squeezed the hoses all around to get out any air bubbles. Then I ran it to temp to ensure I had no leaks. All was well.

Hosed down the driveway after spraying it with 409, just in case the dogs thought it would be interesting to lick or sniff (Engine Ice is not toxic like other glycol-based coolants, but why not be safe).

It's that easy. Ready for winter storage!
NevadaWolf

Re: Coolant flush

Postby NevadaWolf » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:02 pm

Ha! I remember my first coolant flush. The DIY I was following warned that it would really squirt out when the lower bolt was loosened. I didn't think it would that bad - OH BOY was I wrong! Hahahaha

Here's a video for the pregen Ninja 250 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j4i9ajWOk14

Off topic: Have you gotten folks that question your use of Engine Ice? I've had that in my engine since running track days back in 2013 and since it was in there, never thought to switch it out doing any of my other rides. The one time my shop didn't listen to me and put pink stuff in, it boiled over and left a foamy pink mess all over.

I just get people looking at me weird when I say I use Engine Ice. They shrug whenever I answer it's been working for me for the last two years.
trackaddict

Re: Coolant flush

Postby trackaddict » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:36 am

Pink stuff?? I have no idea what that even is!! But no, no one has ever questioned it. I probably don't really need it with these newer bikes, but it really made a huge difference with my 2004 GSX-R and 2003 R6... both prone to overheating on 90+ degree days. I also like that it is less toxic. It isn't slippery, so I don't worry about crashing. From what I have seen with my bikes, it is so much less corrosive than other options and I am a huge fan.

Return to “Wrenching”