Jan 3, SoCalSuperMoto

Love to take it off-road? Tell us all about it here.
trackaddict

Jan 3, SoCalSuperMoto

Postby trackaddict » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:45 am

Please someone come out with me!! It's their first ever women's-only day. They provide the bike, a t-shirt and photos. You bring your gear. If you need a helmet, and you are a small, I bet I have one for you. http://socalsupermoto.com/calendar.html
I've ridden with them twice before -- it's in Riverside at the Adam's kart track. I did superbike style instead of supermoto -- they'll let you do either. But no matter what, it will be FUN!!!
Someone come along!!
Dualsport Chic

Re: Jan 3, SoCalSuperMoto

Postby Dualsport Chic » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:37 pm

trackaddict wrote:Please someone come out with me!! It's their first ever women's-only day. They provide the bike, a t-shirt and photos. You bring your gear. If you need a helmet, and you are a small, I bet I have one for you. http://socalsupermoto.com/calendar.html
I've ridden with them twice before -- it's in Riverside at the Adam's kart track. I did superbike style instead of supermoto -- they'll let you do either. But no matter what, it will be FUN!!!
Someone come along!!

All the cool stuff is in California - with me stuck on the other coast - ARGHGHGH!

Would love to join you TA - if it wasn't so far away . . . :cry:
Northeast Dualsport Riders

Carpe Diem
trackaddict

Postby trackaddict » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:12 am

OK, having done this supermoto track day, I hate to say it but thumbs down. I did SoCal Supermoto in the past and had a great time. Unfortunately, the fleet of bikes was pretty crappy and it just ruined my day. That said, this was also my first time doing supermoto style (more dirtbike body position) - last time I did sportbike style. It's on a kart track, which makes it potentially really fun. The supermoto style day also opens up the dirt part in the afternoon, which I hadn't realized included mostly JUMPS. Although they told us to go about 5 mph and not jump, that wasn't really so easy with crappy bikes that didn't work.

Our group was small - maybe 10 of us. The night before the owner emailed and said there was a problem with the track and we'd have to start an hour early... which meant a 7am show up and an 80 minute drive to get there. And then the gate wasn't even open when we showed up on time! The "problem" was a weird truck event where a zillion people in trucks parked in the lot and down in the pits and just stood there. It was weird. Unfortunately, they also all blocked my own truck in, so it was incredibly difficult to inch out.

It was super cold in the morning (and all day, really), so we had to go slow. That was fine, since I was learning supermoto style. But then... I couldn't really go much faster (I went a lot faster and had more fun doing sportbike with less-crappy bikes), because of the bikes. Either it wouldn't shift, had a duct-taped clutch lever, essentially no brakes, bottomed out suspension, or ... drumroll... a stuck throttle! I swear I thought I was going to die with the duct taped clutch lever bike when the throttle stuck open in the dirt and sent me flying over dirt jumps. I can only thank Rich Oliver's dirtbike race school for teaching me how to slam the rear bake and slide around a turn. It was much better than becoming a projectile off the ramp of the left turn. I ended up feeling like I had whiplash, so that ended my day. I was so ticked off! Not only that, but we got zero training on dirt. He quickly tossed out some advice (basically, go slow and know you're tires will have dirt on them), which made no sense to me since I hadn't seen the dirt part yet. I certainly had no idea how to go over jumps with a stuck throttle. It just sucked.

Anyway, after being frustrated all day and then getting coated in brown dirt (white leathers... yuck), I was done. I really loved it two years ago when I did their superbike style day, because that was where I learned how to trail brake. It was a light switch in my brain when I tried it on a slow track and learned it. But now... those bike issues just made the whole thing suck.
Dualsport Chic

Postby Dualsport Chic » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:55 am

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience : (
Northeast Dualsport Riders

Carpe Diem

Return to “Dirt Riding”