Gps locator

Have a question or suggestion on gear? Then it goes here.
Mamaw Suze

Gps locator

Postby Mamaw Suze » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:27 pm

Do you use a gps locator and if so which one? What features do you like about it? Has it ever failed you? Since I ride alone my husband and I have decided it would be a good thing to have. I'm not sure where Rocky and I are going to end up this summer but we're going somewhere and it will give a little peace of mind to those staying home.
The journey is the destination
CountryCruzr

Re: Gps locator

Postby CountryCruzr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:44 pm

I use the tracking app "SW Connect" on my iPhone and then upload to Spotwalla. Cheaper alternative than SPOT
Image Image
Mamaw Suze

Postby Mamaw Suze » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:18 pm

What if you're somewhere without cell coverage and crash?
The journey is the destination
CountryCruzr

Postby CountryCruzr » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:29 pm

Looks like you might want to consider the Spot Gen 3. http://www.findmespot.com/en/ It has all the bells and whistles. Kind of pricey though plus the monthly service fee. Just depends on what features you need. But there are loads of trackers out there. Here's one with a no contract service fee or activation fee. http://www.spytecinc.com/gl-200-real-time-gps-tracker.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GPS%20Trackers&utm_term=gps%20locators&utm_content=GPS%20Locator Hope this can help you out with your research. It is important folks know where you are and you are ok when you are traveling alone for sure.
Image Image
FastLizard4
Site Admin

Postby FastLizard4 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:03 am

Welp, I keep meaning to comment here, but I keep getting distracted and forgetting.

Anyway, I can echo CountryCruzr's recommendation of Spot; I've had a Spot Gen1 for several years now, and I always carry mine with me when I'm riding. And not just because it's usable in an emergency when you're away from cell coverage; I pay an extra $30/yr. for roadside assistance coverage (5 free tows per year, up to 50 miles each, coverage including motorcycles of course) and $17.95/yr. for (global!) search and rescue insurance, covering up to $50k per incident, up to two incidents per year - and, importantly, covering things like medevac and air ambulance services. With these addons, my last bill was $207.93 for a year of service, which I don't think is too bad all things considered. Of course, the newer Spot units like the Gen3 include additional features that may add to the service cost if you want to use them.
FastLizard4 (website|twitter)
Forum staff / server administrator
2014 Ninja EX300B SE ABS ("Anna")
Semper exploro
LionLady

Postby LionLady » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:41 pm

SPOT. Simple, effective. Separate from your phone. I use it when I travel alone, keep it in tracking (bread crumb trail) mode. The Gen 1 has to be reactivated each day - it stops sending tracking pings at midnight. The Gen 2 will keep sending pings until the batteries die if you don't turn it off. (Mine faithfully pinged away from the storage yard my wrecked bike was hauled to, until I retrieved my tank bag.)

Have had a Gen 1 and Gen 2 (hubby has the Gen 1 I have a Gen 2). They still work fine, so haven't considered "upgrading" to a newer model. You pay for a year's service up front - then there's no concern over being disconnected for lack of payment.

>>>UPDATE: My SPOT Gen 2 went missing a month ago, and rather than hoping it would turn up, I bit the bullet and bought a Gen 3. Two weeks later, the Gen3 and other "find your lost stuff" unit have gone on half price sale. Of course. The sale is still on as it shows up daily in my facebook feed. The Gen3 can be battery powered (4 regular or rechargeable AAA's) or you can power it via the micro USB port.

Anyway, regarding using the Spot device or a phone app: Spot is a dedicated satelite tracking device. If you have it in tracking mode, it will merrily ping along as you move (or don't), letting your friends and family know where you are. They can SEE if you stop in one place for a length of time. If you need friend to friend help, you can preset contacts and a message to send on the Spot website. A phone app is great for basic breadcrumb tracking, but if you need help, you've got to hope you're in cell range and your phone is up to the task/not damaged in an incident.

Return to “All Things Gear Related”