Anyone use a balaclava under helmet?

Have a question or suggestion on gear? Then it goes here.
OldMare

Anyone use a balaclava under helmet?

Postby OldMare » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:41 pm

It is still around freezing in the mornings now, and I ride with a basic LS2 modular helmet. On cool mornings, I have a problem with it fogging up on the inside. Tried vents open and shut (open better), and tried fog-free cleaner on the inside of visor, but to no avail. I have to leave it open a crack. No problem other than my lips get a bit cold! I've seen balaclavas advertised to wear underneath. Does anyone use one and does this help by keeping your breath away from the visor?
CountryCruzr

Re: Anyone use a balaclava under helmet?

Postby CountryCruzr » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:27 pm

I wear a tubular neck gaiter on cooler rides I can wear as a balaclava to cover ears and face just below nose to keep fogging to a minimum. The neck gaiter can be found under the brand names: Buff, Headz or generic equivalent
Image Image
trackaddict

Postby trackaddict » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:37 am

I do on cold days. It definitely keeps the drafts off my neck and from going down my shirt. It does indeed help with fogging, although I find it uncomfortable for long periods of time and end up pulling it down. And then I get cold and have to stop to pull it back up. Haha. Never just right! My bet is that if you had a real brand-name one, it may wick moisture better and be more comfy. My neck tube is made to wick, and when I pull it over my mouth it doesn't get as wet, but it also starts slipping down on its own so it's not really as good for fogging and staying put.
CountryCruzr

Postby CountryCruzr » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:57 am

I agree on the brand name tubes for wicking. Plus wash up in a jiff. After a few uses they get stretched out a little. During the summer I twist it up and wear as a beanie to keep my helmet liner cleaner.
Image Image
VStar

Postby VStar » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:47 am

My head doesn't get cold in my half helmet, but my face and neck need protection. I have a snow skiing gaiter that covers up to my nose, tucks down a bit into the collar but tends to slip down my face as I ride. I also have a mask with velcro closure in the back, it keeps my face cozy but the back of my neck gets chilly. I may invest in a balaclava. I always wear a kerchief or doorag on my hair, it keeps the helmet clean.
I've been there before. Can I get there, again?
OldMare

Postby OldMare » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:22 pm

Thanks for the input! I need to look into getting one. My son recommended a buff also, so need to add that to my list also! Thanks again!
LionLady

Postby LionLady » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:25 pm

You could also try adding a Fog City visor insert to your shield. It's a sort of "storm window" for your visor. Totally keeps it from fogging. I added them to my Arai when I had that and commuted through cold weather. It worked like a charm. My Schuberth has a fog insert standard in the clear face shield.

Return to “All Things Gear Related”