Icon Elsinore Boots

Have a question or suggestion on gear? Then it goes here.
woodlandsprite

Icon Elsinore Boots

Postby woodlandsprite » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:21 pm

So I treated myself to a pair of Icon Elsinores. Here they are compared to my old boots: a pair of Xelement Sirens.

The sirens are the gloss boots that are shorter in height.

So...The Elsinores are definitely more protective and rigid than the Sirens - I had purchased the sirens years ago before I knew how to ride - they were purchased as a fashion boot but are marketed as a motorcycle boot though I suspect they carry no ratings (I could be wrong).

Ever since I saw the elsinores, I knew I was going to be wanting a pair (based on looks alone) - I would have preferred them in brown but the brown is only available on the mens version. I am happy to be able to report that both boots are able to accomodate my strangely large calves, though it is a very tight fit on the elsinores. (I have 17inch calves) - you can see I let the top buckle out on the elsinores to allow a bit more space.

The Elsinores have a higher toe box than the Sirens, I had to adjust the shifter on my bike to ensure I could get the toe of the boot underneath. I have also noticed that am definitely less tall overall in the Elsinores vs the Sirens. I could never flat foot my bike - but it seems an even longer reach with the Elsinores vs the Sirens - I'm not sure I'm happy about this and with a shorter inseam length, I could do with all the help I can get. The stock insole is nothing to write home about, I've swapped the insoles out - both for comfort and also for a bid for additional height.

Elsinore Pros: Rigid protective and stylish boot that can accomodate my wide calves!

Elsinore Concerns: Tall toe box which may require shifter adjustment (just for reference, my shifter lever definitely does *not* land on the shifter pad on these boots (the lever hits more forward towards the toe), shorter sole height vs my older boots resulting in a greater reach for the ground when on my bike.
Still Learning...

2015 CSC/Zongshen RX3
VStar

Re: Icon Elsinore Boots

Postby VStar » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:56 am

I've had my eyes on the Icons and wondered about the fit on my wide calves, I'll have to get out the tape. I don't need the heel height. I'm about a year away from a new pair so I'll get the benefit of your riding experience and report. Thanks in advance.

P.S., nice kitty catty.
I've been there before. Can I get there, again?
Slapshot

Postby Slapshot » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:51 am

MotoLady sure likes the Elsinore boots, and I believe even got a new pair after she wrecked her Ducati. I do like the looks of them! Brown would be awesome in women's too though.
woodlandsprite

Postby woodlandsprite » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:37 am

If you like brown, please write to icon and request it for the womens. I have sent them that feedback - and I hope at some point they listen as I was apparently not the only woman who had written in with that request! I'm still trying to get used to the Elsinores when riding - because they are more rigid, I might be having some shifting issues - I will probably take my old boots out for a ride just to make sure (since I not only moved the shifter to accomodate, I actually installed a different shifter with a tip that will fold if I should ever drop the bike on it...) Trying to deconvolute my shifting issues. On my first ride with the elsinores, I had a hard time getting the toe under the shifter. After swapping the shifter and adjusting position, I had a couple times when my bike would slip into Neutral instead of 2nd *sigh*
Still Learning...

2015 CSC/Zongshen RX3
Alcyone98

Postby Alcyone98 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:35 pm

Could the stiffness be due to new leather? When I got my Milwaukee's it took quite a while before they felt comfortable. I had to adjust my shifter also as the toe was taller than my previous boots. I actually took a couple showers with them and then walked around in the soaking wet boots for a couple weekends to help break them in faster.

Maybe give us an update after you use them for awhile?
Progress not perfection
Scooterpie

Postby Scooterpie » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:14 am

Nice looking boots! I almost bought a pair, but opted for the daytonas .
4 wheels move the body, but 2 wheels move the soul!
My bike: Honda 2012 NC700S 'The Duchess'
woodlandsprite

Postby woodlandsprite » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:48 pm

the stiffness is definitely new leather. I will definitely plan to keep this thread updated as I get the boots broken in. Didn't get to go riding at all this last weekend :( I think I need to try to get in the habit of wearing the boots to just walk around in to help speed along the break in process.
Still Learning...

2015 CSC/Zongshen RX3
OldMare

Postby OldMare » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:31 pm

Thanks for the info. I, too, have the thick leg build, so good to know. I had gotten some Firstgear Kili Lo boots last summer. They were fine with the shorter bike, but not very thick of a sole. When I got the F800, I ended up wearing my work boots all the time (steel toe!) since I was commuting to work and they had a much thicker sole. Am looking for a bigger boot and something that will fit the calves.

Return to “All Things Gear Related”