be careful of habits... I crashed Sunday, Totalled My Bike

Everyone makes mistakes, but it's important to learn from them - this forum is for stories of things that went wrong, and what you learned from the experience
LionLady

be careful of habits... I crashed Sunday, Totalled My Bike

Postby LionLady » Wed May 11, 2016 11:28 pm

On the Blue Ridge Parkway, near Fancy Gap.

I'll heal. But it will be a while: Broken right collarbone (dominant side), broken left fibula, at the ankle bump (hairline fracture), bruised ribs on the right. It was a legal pass that went horribly wrong for me, but could have been worse.

Spent the weekend in Spruce Pines, NC at the Switzerland Inn for Moumtain Moxie 2016. An amazing event. Got re-acquainted with twisty riding. Had. A. Blast, with very good friend. We were on our way home, choosing to take the BRP until we got tired of it, or we hit the closure at Roanoke, VA. My friend was leading because she had a GPS, and I discovered that Waze doesnt work so well out of regular cell tower range.

Passing on the BRP is a bit of a challenge, not many passing zones to speak of, so you've got to be ready to, act when you get to one, if you find yourself behind a sight-seeer, and want to move on. ...we'd been doing great. Passes were smooth, she would signal, move out, accelerate, and I would check ahead for myself, and slingshot close behind, following her back into our lane. Easy Peasy. Until that last pass.

She moved out, I looked. Followed. Then a car appeared ahead in the oncoming lane. Now, ,riding behind my husband I know he would whack the throttle to complete his pass quickly, so I could as well. I looked, saw there was enough room, and whacked my throttle open to follow.... Except she wasn't accelrating. Suddenly, I was RIGHTUPONHERBACKOHSH!T!!!

I punched my left grip to swerve away from her, and went right across the left lane and down the embankment. I remember the snapshot image of her red jacket, then a tumble and darkness, until the EMTs got to me.

Im stuck with finger pecking with my left hand. its tediuos, and editing is tough. I am so thankful that I didnt clip my friend and injure her in my stupidity. We never talked about passing styles before heading up the Parkway. It might have avoided this.

She reacted as she does when leading her more timid friends, she prepared to drop back behind the "target car." What's interesting is that she never saw me behind her, my fail pass happened so quickly. She thought I'd just dropped behind the car. Pull off spots being few and far between, when she stopped to wait for me, the car behind her told her what had happened.
Mamaw Suze

Re: be careful of habits... I crashed Sunday, Totalled My Bike

Postby Mamaw Suze » Thu May 12, 2016 12:28 am

Oh my God lion lady I'm so glad you're ok for the most part. The injuries will heal and the bike can be replaced. I can't imagine ... I don't know how to show it on the forum but I'm sending healing fairy dust to help you heal faster!!!!
The journey is the destination
VStar

Postby VStar » Thu May 12, 2016 12:38 am

LL, what an awful ending to your great weekend. I'm glad it wasn't worse and sad that it includes broken bones. Heal quickly and completely.
I've been there before. Can I get there, again?
woodlandsprite

Postby woodlandsprite » Thu May 12, 2016 3:32 pm

Yikes, Lion Lady, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident, but so glad it's not worse. Swift healing to you.
Still Learning...

2015 CSC/Zongshen RX3
Rogue
Site Admin

Postby Rogue » Thu May 12, 2016 6:17 pm

Holy crap, LL, I'm so sorry! I've ridden the entire length of the BRP, so I know exactly what you're talking about. Things can go wrong in a really bad way on that road. I'm happy to hear it wasn't worse for you. Please take good care of yourself. Here's a jar of fairy dust just for you.

Rogue
Forum Staff
twitter | blog
2013 Non-ABS Ninja 300
FastLizard4
Site Admin

Postby FastLizard4 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:44 pm

Wow, I'm very sorry to hear that. As others have said, bikes can be replaced, but you cannot, and I'm glad to hear it wasn't worse. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
FastLizard4 (website|twitter)
Forum staff / server administrator
2014 Ninja EX300B SE ABS ("Anna")
Semper exploro
OldMare

Postby OldMare » Wed May 18, 2016 2:14 pm

Just catching up from being away way too long. So sorry to hear this happened. Hope you are healing up fine. I know those ribs can really hurt. You did bring up a good item that we need to discuss with someone we are riding with. I never would have thought about the need before reading about your accident. Get better soon!
trackaddict

Postby trackaddict » Fri May 20, 2016 6:09 am

I've felt similar situations on both the streets and the track.. thankfully it has never gone bad but every time my heart went into my throat. It's something you can talk about ahead of time, but kind of not... everything always depends on the situation, the space between cars, and you know. So glad to hear you are ok.
CountryCruzr

Postby CountryCruzr » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:35 pm

HI LL, I've been off the board here for awhile. Just now getting caught up. I was saddened by this post but felt relief knowing you'll be okay! How are you doing? Heal up well!
Image Image
LionLady

Postby LionLady » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:33 pm

Thanks! I'm doing great, actually. The ankle is healed, and I'm walking on it, no problem. Got to work on getting back range of motion after being in a boot for a month. The collarbone is healing nicely, after having surgery to put in a plate - the bone ends weren't anywhere near each other.

I put a deposit down on a sweet, SWEET and SEXAAAY! 2013 R1200R - 90th Anniversary Edition. It only has 1600 miles on it, and the dealer wrote me a honey of a deal, throwing in BMW cases. Hubby and I, and maybe another riding buddy, will be doing a drive and ride to Jacksonville next weekend to pick it up.

My plan is to test ride it, to see how I feel, and go from there. I do NOT intend to push things and cause damage.

I'm the safety blogger for the BMW MOA. I wrote a blog entry about my crash, the entry is titled "Assumptions Will Bite You": http://www.bmwmoa.org/blogpost/1224309/MotoSafe Please comment!

P

Return to “What went wrong, and what I learned from it”