When Parked on a Slope Double Check You're in Gear

Everyone makes mistakes, but it's important to learn from them - this forum is for stories of things that went wrong, and what you learned from the experience
Rogue
Site Admin

When Parked on a Slope Double Check You're in Gear

Postby Rogue » Mon May 09, 2016 8:16 pm

Yesterday I was going riding with the husband unit and he offered to move my bike out of the garage while I put the dog in his kennel. Seemed harmless enough, right? Well... not exactly. Our new house has a nice downward slope to the driveway so that water runs off and he left my bike in neutral. I hopped on it and it immediately started rolling a bit and over we both went. I have a few bruises on my leg and the bike has a few new beauty marks on the main fairing. Nothing broken and nothing noticeable unless you're right up on it. But, it was still a bit unsettling and I kept having to remind myself that none of us are infallible with our judgement. He hasn't ridden much since we moved, so he hadn't really noticed the driveway had enough slope to cause the bike to roll if it's not in gear. But, my lesson learned: if you weren't the one who moved your bike, never assume the kind person who did it for you left it in the proper gear for the situation.
Rogue
Forum Staff
twitter | blog
2013 Non-ABS Ninja 300
LionLady

Re: When Parked on a Slope Double Check You're in Gear

Postby LionLady » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:31 pm

Glad you weren't badly hurt! Remember, if the bike was running, and nobody was on it (to squeeze that clutch lever), it had to be in neutral. I'm funny about that. I never step away from my bike while its running (in neutral) I've heard too many old timers tales about the bike vibrating itself off the side stand, and going crunch.
Mamaw Suze

Postby Mamaw Suze » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:37 am

I'm bad about letting Rocky warm up in neutral while I finish gearing up. Never thought about him vibrating off the kickstand. If it's not one thing it's another! That's why we should never stop listening to the wisdom of others. They don't even have to be more experienced. I've known some beginner riders to pop up with wise observations. Hmmm vibrate off the kickstand.. Rocky has a pretty good buzz. I need to change my ways...again
Signed,
14 years of riding and still learning (sometimes just not fast enough)
The journey is the destination
LionLady

Postby LionLady » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:11 pm

Most bikes (especially fuel injected ones), really don't need to "warm up" - unless its particularly cold outside. Then just a moment or two, until the idle settles, will do. Even though my new bike is very smooth at idle (my old one was too), I just get the heebie-jeebies about walking away from my bike while its running.

Return to “What went wrong, and what I learned from it”