Having your mind made up before you move!

Everyone makes mistakes, but it's important to learn from them - this forum is for stories of things that went wrong, and what you learned from the experience
OldMare

Having your mind made up before you move!

Postby OldMare » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:21 pm

Just for something to talk about, this is one that happened to me this past summer. I moved from the X Country that I almost flat footed on, to the F800GS that hadn't been lowered yet and I was on toes while seated. It was my first trip to town with my husband to watch our daughter play dek hockey. We parked, watched the game, then came time to leave. Our bikes were both aimed out in the parking lot. Out was to the right, and left was parking lot that narrowed to a street again in the park. We were sitting there and my husband decided we jump down to the left to see what our kids and friends were going to do and if they wanted to go get supper. I got nervous thinking about turning around down there and my mind wasn't made up fully. I hesitated and killed it as I took off and put my downhill foot down and had to do one of those hopping on one foot to get out of the way as the bike came down to the left. More than dropping it in front of everyone, I also hit the horn as it went down just in case someone hadn't seen or heard me before! Boy was I embarrassed. My family comes up laughing and asking to help. Some guys from up at the dek hockey rinks come down and asked too. :oops: :oops: No, just let me die from embarrassment here, but I'm fine! We got the bike up. Moved the handlebars a bit but hubby got them back and we all left to go eat.

Big thing I learned was don't take off if your mind isn't set on what you are doing! You have to have your mind made up and you have to be decisive in your riding!

So just a quick note...One time we were doing off road in a park in Indiana for my first time and I was riding our DR 200. I dropped it then too and managed to hit the horn as it went down. (Lots of mud that time!) So now if we ever hear a motorcycle horn, my family asks while laughing if I just dropped a bike! :lol:
VStar

Re: Having your mind made up before you move!

Postby VStar » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:48 am

Fortunately I haven't announced my drops as I've gone down, I just had to find someone to help pick it up. Come to think of it, honking the horn may have helped.
I've been there before. Can I get there, again?
Scooterpie

Re: Having your mind made up before you move!

Postby Scooterpie » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:27 am

It happens to all of us, just think of your horn as summoning your minions to do the heavy liftiNg
4 wheels move the body, but 2 wheels move the soul!
My bike: Honda 2012 NC700S 'The Duchess'

Return to “What went wrong, and what I learned from it”