Sun in their eyes

Everyone makes mistakes, but it's important to learn from them - this forum is for stories of things that went wrong, and what you learned from the experience
Mamaw Suze

Sun in their eyes

Postby Mamaw Suze » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:03 pm

On one of my last rides in October I had my scariest ever moment on a bike. I had stopped at an intersection of 2 highways and couldn't see much to the right due to a truck sitting at the side of the road. He wasn't totally blocking my view but had decreased it. East west traffic did not have to stop. I crept up a step at a time continuing to look all 4 ways. I was in my lane just left of its center but no where near the center line. I finally got out far enough I could actually see cars coming from the right but still back far enough I wasn't in the cross lanebyanystretch. After a few cars passed I saw one coming with her left turn signal on. I glanced the other directions and saw a long line of traffic coming from the right. when I looked back the car coming from the right was headed right at me. She had decided to beat the oncoming traffic and cut the corner short. I was in process of diving off when she saw me and swerved away. I managed to catch Dusty before she hit the ground and landed on one foot upright-sort of. She pulled over and stopped and was so shook up she could barely talk. I wasn't exactly calm.
This all happened in a second. I was in gear as always at a stop but there was no where to go and no time to go. The sun was low in the sky at the time of day when you go from sun to shade you lose good vision for a second and a second is all it takes for disaster. I was in hi viz gear and a white helmet, bright blue bike with headlight on. My mistake was sitting there and not thinking about the low Suns effect on visibility. I should have stayed farther back and turned right then gone up the road where visibility was better to head in the right direction. I know a rider who will never sit at an intersection but will turn right as soon as possible then reorient when safe. Her mistake was trying to beat oncoming traffic and not looking close enough plus driving to fast for visibility conditions.
I did keep my cool and we had a long discussion about the circumstances. I think she'll be much more aware of motorcycles in the future... At least for awhile. I waited until she quit shaking and calmed down enough to drive then we both went on our way. I then took that right I should have taken to begin with and wound my way through the country to home.
The journey is the destination
Rogue
Site Admin

Re: Sun in their eyes

Postby Rogue » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:37 pm

That is an incredibly situation. I'm glad nothing worse happened to you. I'm devotedly going to remember this the nest time I'm sitting at an intersection as the sun is getting lower. Thanks for sharing with us.
Rogue
Forum Staff
twitter | blog
2013 Non-ABS Ninja 300
Mamaw Suze

Postby Mamaw Suze » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:27 pm

Watch for people cutting the corner short to beat oncoming traffic too. Sometimes I think people are so focused on what's coming at them and lord forbid they wait their turn that they don't notice anything else. Hurry hurry hurry. Don't want to wait 30 seconds for traffic to clear and be safe. I still shudder when I think about how fast it happened and how close she came to taking me out.
The journey is the destination
woodlandsprite

Postby woodlandsprite » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:34 am

urg. today I was walking on the sidewalk and some car coming from behind laid on their horn - turns out the person in front of them decided to turn right - heaven forbid you actually slow down (it was a single lane each way) *sigh*

I'm glad you weren't hurt, but that must have been incredibly frightening!
Still Learning...

2015 CSC/Zongshen RX3

Return to “What went wrong, and what I learned from it”